Build the RelationshipsFor a sales organization to be successful, it requires success oriented members. Therefore, the best way to start is to get to know those members; especially if the organization that you are a part of has many sales representatives, and the people that you are supervising are most likely the sales managers. Therefore, the first step is to get to know those people. You really have to take the time to understand the organization, since for a sales strategy to work; you need to know the business strategy. The things that you should be familiar with are:
- The management structure of the organization;
- If a cadence of accountability is present, you need to familiarize yourself with it;
- What is the missive being delivered by the leaders above you?
- The ways of engagement in the activity management.
It is crucial for you as a new sales leader, to evaluate the abilities of the sales managers on a managerial level. It is for you to determine whether those sales managers are leading the sales reps towards success or not. In order to do that, you will have to communicate and build trust with the sales managers. However, in a scenario where you are directly supervising the salespeople, you need to assess their performances. Evaluate the sale reps and determine: how the reps fit in to the organization, do they work collaboratively, do they use the sales stack tools, and do they improve their skills with each passing time? Lastly, the most important thing or a news sales leader to do is to take part in the daily activities of the organization with his team. As a leader of sales manager, you can attend the meeting and get to know their management approaches. As a leader of the sales rep, you can be a part of the team and a source of motivation for all by being a selling sales leader.
Understand the DataIn this age, everything and everyone is data driven. What everyone does not do is harness that data. This is where you can add the value. Use the metrics like:
- Where are the customers? The vertical analysis, or through company size or other measurement tools;
- Does your company have a high close rate?
- Average deal size;
- The close deals your team has had in the past month or year;
- The quota that your sales reps are achieving.
Evaluate the Sales ProcessHere, you will have to assess the sales process that is being run in the organization where you are the sales leader. To ensure the credibility of the organization, you will have to determine the most important activities and their purpose in the sales cycle. The most basic processes that you can find are:
- Determining potential lead through outbound planning;
- Connection with the lead in order to turn it into a prospect;
- Used cases can be developed, and the value proposition is communicated;
- The prospects are provided with a demo in order to turn it into an opportunity;
- In the final stage, the opportunity is then turned into a sale;
- In the end, the customer is attained.