New sales leader can use as much help as they can get to add value to the business. As a new sales leader, you do not have the leisure of time. Time is the biggest setback in your new position as a leader. Being a new sales leader means you will have to close more businesses in the least amount of time. Moreover, you do not get the time to get the job done in a veracious manner. Therefore, as a new sales leader, you should avoid wasting time entirely on the things that are of no value.
To get your new sales leader job a good push, there are ways you can make it happen. For you to give your new job a head start, you can follow some of the following groundbreaking rules or ways to add value:
Build the Relationships
For a sales organization to be successful, it requires success oriented members. Therefore, the best way to start is to get to know those members; especially if the organization that you are a part of has many sales representatives, and the people that you are supervising are most likely the sales managers. Therefore, the first step is to get to know those people. You really have to take the time to understand the organization, since for a sales strategy to work; you need to know the business strategy. The things that you should be familiar with are:
- The management structure of the organization;
- If a cadence of accountability is present, you need to familiarize yourself with it;
- What is the missive being delivered by the leaders above you?
- The ways of engagement in the activity management.
However, in a scenario where you are directly supervising the salespeople, you need to assess their performances. Evaluate the sale reps and determine: how the reps fit in to the organization, do they work collaboratively, do they use the sales stack tools, and do they improve their skills with each passing time?
Lastly, the most important thing or a news sales leader to do is to take part in the daily activities of the organization with his team. As a leader of sales manager, you can attend the meeting and get to know their management approaches. As a leader of the sales rep, you can be a part of the team and a source of motivation for all by being a selling sales leader.
Understand the Data
In this age, everything and everyone is data driven. What everyone does not do is harness that data. This is where you can add the value. Use the metrics like:
- Where are the customers? The vertical analysis, or through company size or other measurement tools;
- Does your company have a high close rate?
- Average deal size;
- The close deals your team has had in the past month or year;
- The quota that your sales reps are achieving.
The data can tell you a lot of things; data is something that determines the outcome of the sales process of an organization. Understand the metrics that your company’s sales reps are using. Where their time is being spent and how? You need to understand all this in order to figure out the sales activities to prioritize.
To determine this, the best way for you is to interview the reps and find which the most efficient one in their view is.
Evaluate the Sales Process
Here, you will have to assess the sales process that is being run in the organization where you are the sales leader. To ensure the credibility of the organization, you will have to determine the most important activities and their purpose in the sales cycle. The most basic processes that you can find are:
- Determining potential lead through outbound planning;
- Connection with the lead in order to turn it into a prospect;
- Used cases can be developed, and the value proposition is communicated;
- The prospects are provided with a demo in order to turn it into an opportunity;
- In the final stage, the opportunity is then turned into a sale;
- In the end, the customer is attained.
The process is the important part; if the current sales process looks efficient, then you can go with it. But if you think it needs to be changed, you will have to determine the how part of it and the time frame it will require to be developed.
That is what you need to add value as a new sales leader. More importantly, as a new sales leader you have to be willing to make changes and adjustments to the organization as you deem fit. This method might be difficult to implement, but once you get the hang of it, there is nothing that can stop you.